Pages

Thursday 26 April 2018

Wednesday, 25th April 2018 - View from Beddingham Shepherds Hut


After my shower, during which I was a little concerned that the gas was going to run out and the water run cold, I put the kettle on for tea. I looked at the time. It was 7.30am!!! What was I doing up and about at this time of the morning on my holiday. We had croissant warmed on the woodburner sitting in the sun. It was a few hours before our The Clergy House opened. We went for a walk. A long walk. A steep, long walk. Tim wanted to head for a certain tree at the top of a monstrous mountain full of hazardous tussocks that got steeper the higher we climbed. The hillsides were covered in cowslips. Hundred and hundreds of tiny ones. The bodily strain was worth it. The view was 360 degrees of panoramic beauty. The winding path down was so much easier. 

Off the Alfriston for the morning. We picnicked by the Cuckmere with a point ended sour dough french stick. The Clergy House was the first property bought and restored by the National Trust. I didn’t know that. There was lots of history. I found it a bit lacking in accoutrements. The garden was beautiful. It gave me ideas beyond my station.

This afternoon we spent a couple of hours in Rodmell. The Monks House was stunning. One of the places that The Bloomsbury set had an influence on. I studied and was inspired by the many oil paintings, There was a very enthusiastic man giving a reading by Virginia Woolf. Another very pretty garden.

Three National Trust properties in two days. How pleasing to have an annual membership.

We got back to the Shepherd’s Hut for tea and biscuits. I had a sleep while Tim worked. 

This evening we drove to Firle and met with the beautiful people who bought us our honeymoon gift at The Ram.Tim took advantage of the mains electricity and powered up his devices in Nick and Alli’s bedroom. It was a fine evening with great friends. Back at the hut we were welcomed by the warmth of the woodburner.

Thank you June (the ideas and organiser), Barry, Nick, Alli, Ray, Linda, Si, Lesley, Mike and Pippa for coming to celebrate with us.



View from Beddingham Shepherds Hut
Watercolour
17 cm x 12 cm
£40 unframed

No comments:

Post a Comment