Pages

Sunday 4 August 2024

Sunday, 4th August 2024 - Alliums and St Maws Castle

The sun is setting over a fleet of sailing boats on the estuary as I type. So beautiful.

John has now joined us in Falmouth after a night on a coach - apparently not the best way to travel. John being a connoisseur of the area I was happy to take his advice on our days adventure. 

We walked into town. I bought myself a striped jumpsuit. I hope I don't look like I am in my PJs when I wear it. Next we took a ferry across the Fal to St Maws using our Mussel card. I didn't expect there to be so much 'green'. in Falmouth. I love the wonky trees snuggled amongst the houses. So very picturesque with their pastel painted walls. 

We stopped at The Victory Inn for a quick refreshment then wandered past the prettiest of houses to St Maws Castle. Bit of history for you...it was built by King Henry VIII, I don't think he did much stone laying himself, at the same time as Pendennis Castle to defend Cornwall. I love a walk around a rampart.

We had a few minutes to spare before our return ferry. I had a gin and tonic on the balcony of St Maws Hotel. On our return we had dinner at The Boathouse pub. I haven't had a roast dinner with lamb for ages. The smell of mint sauce reminded me of all those Sunday roasts Mum cooked with Dad and my brother and sister. Mum cooked the best roast potatoes and popovers. 

Our last pub of the day was The Working boat where we watched children swimming and jumping off the wall - made me very nervous but they were having a great time. 

Thank you John for an excellent day.


View from Moonraker 
Pen and Watercolour
216/366


No comments:

Post a Comment